It contains Hogarth’s House, the former residence of the 18th-century English artist William Hogarth; Chiswick House, a neo-Palladian villa regarded as one of the finest in England; and Fuller’s Brewery, London’s largest and oldest brewery.
In a meander of the River Thames used for competitive and recreational rowing, with several rowing clubs on the river bank, the finishing post for the Boat Race is just downstream of Chiswick Bridge.
Chiswick was an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, with a strong farming and fishing economy on the banks of the River Thames.
It became the Municipal Borough of Brentford and Chiswick in 1932, and part of Greater London in 1965, when it merged into the London Borough of Hounslow.
Chiswick is an affluent area which includes Bedford Park, Grove Park, the Glebe Estate, Strand-on-the-Green and Tube stations Turnham Green and Gunnersbury within its three wards.
Chiswick Roundabout is the start of the North Circular Road (A406). At Hogarth Roundabout, the Great West Road from central London becomes the M4 motorway, providing a transport connection to Heathrow Airport and the M4 corridor.
The Great Chertsey Road (A316) runs south-west from the Hogarth Roundabout, becoming the M3 motorway.
Chiswick High Road contains a mix of retail, restaurants, food outlets and expanding office and hotel space. The wide streets encourage cafes, pubs and restaurants to provide pavement seating.
Lying between the offices at the Golden Mile Great West Road and Hammersmith, office developments and warehouse conversions to offices began from the 1960s.